Wednesday, February 6, 2008

More On Meat

For anyone interested, my friend Deborah received some meat from U.S. Wellness Meats. They sell grass fed beef and other meat. I have to admit that since I have never mail ordered meat, it sounds a little strange, but Deborah's sister found this place and so they tried it out.

We are very fortunate to have a lot of local resources, but some of them don't have a huge variety of cuts, like this place. I think it's always best to get local products when possible, but also I recognize that some people have no local resources for certain types of food. I'm not talking about exotic fruit or such, but everyday organic foods.

Even if you aren't interested in ordering meat, I found this pdf helpful in understanding the different cuts of meat.

1 comment:

Charlotte said...

I think mail-ordered high class meat is fine...around here a few years back there was a business where folks would be going door-to-door selling meat out of the back of a truck, and who knew what the real dates on that stuff were...a lot of pressure to sell the inventory, and no oversight-it was like Amway meat...scary.
I think it went under when someone got sick.
I like grass-feeding, it is good for the animals, and the environment. Feed lots just aren't a great thing either.